I need your thoughts ....

From: Didier Gasser-Morlay <didiergm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: I need your thoughts ....
Date: 2010-03-14 14:19:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I am starting to write a new application where I'll need a fairly light
local database engine when the user is travelling but with the ability to
connect to a central db server once back in the office. The central server
will be PostgreSQL, but I have got questions about the local server. I would
love it to be PostgreSQL, which would simplify a lot of things as although
the volume of the local database will be fairly small: a few hundreds or
records on a maximum of 20 tables, but the queries might be complex and the
benefit of stored procedures if of great value to me.

My constraints are:
1- I won't be with the users for the setup
2- Ideally I'd like a one-step setup (db and my app), or at least with no
questions asked (fully automated setup)
3- the users will be running on Windows and possibly on Mac within 18
months

Is PostgreSQL suited for this especially point 2.

Any thoughts or advice ?

Thanks in advance
Didier