Re: Streaming replication as a separate permissions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication as a separate permissions
Date: 2010-12-27 21:42:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Updated patch, still pending docs, but otherwise updated: allow
> start/stop backup, make sure only superuser can turn on/off the flag,
> include in system views, show properly in psql.

I'd suggest avoiding creating the static cache variable
AuthenticatedUserIsReplicationRole.  This can't possibly be sufficiently
interesting from a performance point of view to justify the risks
associated with stale cache values.  Just look up the pg_authid syscache
entry when needed, ie, treat it more like rolcreaterole than rolsuper.

BTW, you forgot pg_dumpall support.