Re: [SQL] pqReadData...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: gav <gav(at)nlr(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] pqReadData...
Date: 2000-01-23 16:18:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

gav <gav(at)nlr(dot)ru> writes:
> I have the database created with the postgresql 6.5.3. I make many
> inserts (10-30 thousands) in one of tables in one transaction.
> Sometimes I receive the error:

> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request

> What is it? Is this a bug?

It's a bug, but we'll need a lot more info than that to fix it.
For example: what were the last few commands you issued before
the crash? Is there anything in the postmaster log file?
(6.5.* libpq has a bad habit of dropping backend error messages
if the channel is closed immediately after the message arrives.
So if the backend reports a FATAL error and quits, the above is
all you see. But the FATAL message ought to be logged in the
postmaster log file.) Is there a core dump file from the failed
backend? (It'd be in .../data/base/yourdatabasename/core) If
so, can you use gdb to get a backtrace from the core file?