Re: Proposal: Add JSON support

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Add JSON support
Date: 2010-03-31 01:03:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'd think that you could get quite a long ways on this, at least doing
>> something like dbslayer without *necessarily* needing to do terribly
>> much work inside the DB engine.
>
> There's actually an HTTP framework tool for Postgres which already does
> something of the sort.  It was introduced at pgCon 2 years ago ... will
> look for.

While it might be interesting to have/find/write a tool that puts an
HTTP/JSON layer around the DB connection, it's pretty much entirely
unrelated to the proposed project of creating a json type with
PostgreSQL analagous to the xml type we already have, which is what
the OP is proposing to do.

Personally, I suspect that a JSON type is both a more interesting
project to work on and a more useful result for this community.

...Robert