Re: Linux start script updates

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Linux start script updates
Date: 2010-03-04 17:05:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Kevin Grittner
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> AFAIR Peter is the only one who has complained about the script
>> being longer, and I'm really not sure why that's a big deal.
>
> I'll take that under advisement for later.  I'm not inclined to
> think there's anything here worth trying to squeeze into 9.0, and
> I'm assuming that isn't what you were suggesting, either.

I'm OK either way.  Changes to init scripts are unlikely to break
anything since many users won't use them.  And if the changes are
minor even moreso.  But postponing it is one less thing to deal with,
so I'm happy with that.

> Personally, though, I don't understand his concern about length per
> se, but recognize that some of the improvements could have value
> outside of Linux environments; which makes a case for putting what
> we can into pg_ctl.  That the script becomes shorter and easier to
> read and understand may have some limited value, but I see that as
> secondary.

That's a good point.

...Robert