Re: scheduler in core

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Lucas <lucas75(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scheduler in core
Date: 2010-02-21 17:58:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Lucas <lucas75(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I wonder if the scheduler already existed before the
>  implementation of the autovacuum, its implementation would
>  not be a function executed by the in-core scheduler?

The real genius of autovacuum is that it works out when there has been
enough activity in particular tables that they need to be vacuumed.
We might be able to use an in-core scheduler to wake it up every
minute to look at the stats, or whatever it is that we do, but that's
not all that exciting.

...Robert