Re: Hot Standby: Relation-specific deferred conflict resolution

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hot Standby: Relation-specific deferred conflict resolution
Date: 2010-01-29 12:01:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 11:33 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>> So what was the clear result?
>
> I have spoken clearly enough. You were welcome to attend the Hot Standby
> User Group. The fact that you did not expresses your own priorities
> quite well, ISTM. Your protestations to know more about the wishes of
> users than they do themselves isn't hugely impressive.

This doesn't make any sense at all.  It is not the case that people
who attended the Hot Standby user group are the only ones who are
entitled to provide any feedback, and that people who read
pgsql-hackers are not (unless they also happen to have attended the
Hot Standby user group).  If anything, that's 100% backwards, but at
any rate Heikki has probably spent more time over the last year on
this feature than anyone in the world with the exception of yourself;
I think that counts for a lot more than one two-hour meeting.

...Robert