Re: parallel regression test output

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: parallel regression test output
Date: 2010-01-18 04:54:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> There is something slightly funny about the regression test output.
> When it starts a parallel group, it prints something like
>
> parallel group (14 tests):  select_views portals_p2 rules foreign_key
> cluster dependency guc bitmapops combocid tsearch tsdicts foreign_data
> window xmlmap
>
> One would think that it prints this as the tests are started, but it
> actually prints it as the tests finish.

I always assumed that it was printing the names as the tests finished,
probably because of the way the output is staggered. If they were
printed when the tests were started, the list would be printed all but
simultaneously.

> The last one or two test names
> are always printed after a considerable delay, probably because of
> terminal timing issues, which I have found confusing on several
> occasions.

Terminal timing issues?

> I propose to adjust the behavior so that the "parallel group" line
> prints the test names before/as the tests are started, and then the
> subsequent lines print the results after the tests finish, as is
> currently the case.

I think I prefer the current behavior. As Tom said downthread, it
gives you a sort of progress indicator.

...Robert