Re: noob inheritance question

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zintrigue <zintrigue(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: noob inheritance question
Date: 2010-01-07 20:19:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Zintrigue <zintrigue(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's any performance penalty here

There definitely is. Your design sounds pretty painful to me...
adding a column referencing a side-table will be much nicer.

> If anyone can offer in any insight as too how inheritance is actually
> executed (compared to JOINs especially), I'd be most grateful.

You can look at the query plans for your queries using EXPLAIN.
Inheritance is really just UNION ALL under the covers - it's meant for
partitioning, not the sort of thing you're trying to do here, so your
query plans will probably not be too good with this design.

...Robert