Re: pgsql: PG_MAJORVERSION: For simplicity, use PG_MAJORVERSION rather than

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: PG_MAJORVERSION: For simplicity, use PG_MAJORVERSION rather than
Date: 2010-01-07 03:49:18
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> > That is just too odd. I think I forgot about the summary idea then.
>>
>> What is odd?
>>
>> If I was unclear, look at this status page:
>>
>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=shortlog
>>
>> Note that for your commit it only says "PG_MAJORVERSION:".  You have to
>> open the patch's page to see the rest of the message.
>
> Well, having the description and then a blank line in the middle just is
> too odd for too small a group of viewers.  I might as well just type the
> commit message as normal and users can see all they can.

It's not really that odd. You just write the message so that the
first line gives an overview of what has been done. If you have
additional details, then you skip a line and then write them out. For
example, in this case you might have written:

Simplify creation of the PG_VERSION file.

It makes more sense to use PG_MAJORVERSION rather than PG_VERSION for
this purpose.

This has exactly the same content as what you actually wrote, just
reworded so that the first line is a reasonable summary of the whole
message. It's not too hard once you get the knack of it.

...Robert