Re: Issues with \copy from file

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sigurgeir Gunnarsson <sgunnars(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues with \copy from file
Date: 2009-12-19 00:24:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Sigurgeir Gunnarsson
<sgunnars(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The intention was never to talk down postgresql but rather trying to get
> some explanation of this difference so that I could do the proper changes.
>
> After having read the link from Euler's post, which I oversaw, I have
> managed to shorten the import time. My problem was with the indexes. I was
> able to shorten the import time, of a 26 million line import, from 2 hours +
> (I gave up after that time) downto 12 minutes by dropping the indexes after
> truncate and before copy.
>
> This is what I was expecting and I'm therefore satisfied with the result.

Ah ha!  Well, it sounds like perhaps you have the answer to what was
causing the difference too, then.  I'm not trying to be unhelpful,
just trying to explain honestly why you might not get exactly the
response you expect to MySQL comparisons - we only understand half of
it.

...Robert