Re: BUG #5207: unable to start postgresql server services

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Denny Saviant Mohammad <konohablueflash(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5207: unable to start postgresql server services
Date: 2009-11-27 12:25:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Denny Saviant Mohammad
<konohablueflash(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Well, i changed nothing in my postgresql.conf before the accident.

Well, someone or something did, because stdmsg isn't ever a legal
value, and it didn't put itself into that file.
.
> But, after i try changing value on log_destination from 'stdmsg' into 'csvlog',
> i got this "2009-11-26 16:07:57 ICTPANIC:  could not open control file
> "global/pg_control": Permission denied"

This would seem to indicate that either the permissions on the
PostgreSQL data directory have been changed, or you're trying to start
PostgreSQL under the wrong user account.

> I changed it into 'syslog', i got this
> FATAL:  invalid value for parameter "log_destination": "syslog"
>
> I changed it again into 'eventlog', i got this "2009-11-27 15:28:03
> ICTPANIC:  could not open control file "global/pg_control": Permission
> denied" again..
>
> i also try to change pg_log folder permissions, but nothing happens..

I would suggest that you post to a different mailing list, such as
pgsql-novice or pgsql-general.  This mailing list is for bug reports,
and it doesn't sound to me like there's a bug here.  I would start by
setting log_destination = eventlog - since stdmsg is definitely not
going to work - and then ask for help on one of those mailing lists
fixing your permissions problem.

...Robert