next CommitFest

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: next CommitFest
Date: 2009-11-09 01:52:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The next CommitFest is scheduled to start in a week. So far, it
doesn't look too bad, though a lot could change between now and then.

I would personally prefer not to be involved in the management of the
next CommitFest. Having done all of the July CommitFest and a good
chunk of the September CommitFest, I am feeling a bit burned out.

One pretty major fly in the ointment is that neither Hot Standby nor
Streaming Replication has been committed or shows much sign of being
about to be committed. I think this is bad. These are big features
that figure to have some bugs and break some things. If they're not
committed in time for alpha3, then there won't be any significant
testing of these prior to alpha4/beta1, at the earliest. I think
that's likely to lead to either (1) a very long beta period followed
by a late release or (2) a buggy release. I feel like Simon Riggs and
Fujii Masao really pulled out all the stops to get these ready in time
for the September CommitFest, and while I'm not in a hurry to break
the world, I think the sooner these can hit the tree, the better of
we'll be in terms of releasing 8.5.

Just my $0.02,

...Robert