Re: BUG #5168: cannot login to server

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de
Cc: Abhishek <abhishek(dot)sawant111(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5168: cannot login to server
Date: 2009-11-05 15:25:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 7:49 AM, <tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 06:59:49AM +0000, Abhishek wrote:
>>
>> The following bug has been logged online:
>>
>> Bug reference:      5168
>> Logged by:          Abhishek
>> Email address:      abhishek(dot)sawant111(at)gmail(dot)com
>> PostgreSQL version: 8.4
>> Operating system:   Linux Fedora 8
>> Details:
>>
>> server[localhost]:localhost enter
>> Databse[postgres]:global enter
>> Port [5432]: 5432 enter
>> User [postgres]:postgres enter
>>
>> After enter it showing me error:-
>>
>> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/psql: error while loading shared
>> libraries:libssl.so.4:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Abhishek,
>
> this doesn't look like a PostgreSQL bug -- rather like a botched
> installation.
>
> Moreover, it doesn't help to file a non-bug twice, creating two bug
> numbers ;-)
>
> That said, I'd recommend to find out which package of your distribution
> carries the missing library (libssl.so.4) and to (re-) install this
> package. As a first attempt, a search in rpmfind
>
>  <http://search.rpmseek.com/search.html>
>
> for libssl seems to lead to the package "openssl". But I'd recommend you
> try yourself (I'm by no means a Fedora expert!).

That's not a standard location for PostgreSQL under Fedora. It could
be some other RPM repository (which?) but if so the dependencies are
broken, since otherwise it would've insisted on having the matching
SSL libraries installed too. My suspicion is that this is a home-brew
compile, but in any case the broad outline of the picture is clear:
the SSL libraries are not installed where PostgreSQL can find them.

...Robert