Re: per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost
Date: 2009-11-03 04:03:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> Robert Haas escribió:
>
>> I don't see anything in this code that is very rel-specific, so I
>> think it would be possible to implement spcoptions by just defining
>> RELOPT_KIND_TABLESPACE and ignoring the irony, but that has enough of
>> an unsavory feeling that I'm sure someone is going to complain about
>> it...  I suppose we could go through and systematically rename all
>> instances of reloptions to ent(ity)options or storageoptions or
>> gen(eric)options or somesuch...
>
> Maybe I missed part of the discussion, but do these really need to be
> handled like reloptions instead of like datoptions?  Perhaps the
> deciding factor is that we want to parse them once and store them in a
> cache, so like reloptions; the others are used once per connection and
> then thrown away.

This may be a stupid question, but what are datoptions?

$ git grep datoptions
$

> If this is the case, then I think we could just decide that their name
> is reloptions due to hysterical reasons and be done with it.

Yeah. It's particularly unfortunate that we call them "reloptions" in
the code but "storage parameters" in the documentation. Neither is a
particularly good name, and having two different ones is extra-poor.
But I'm fine with leaving the names as they are and moving on, if no
one objects too much. Speak now or don't complain about it after I
write the patch!

...Robert