Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-26 14:41:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 09:04 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> >
>> > I agree with Greg.  I would love to dump the current stupid long
>> > postgresql.conf, but I've lost that argument every time I've had it.
>> >
>> > We have to work around it.
>>
>> Do you have a pointer to the archives?
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-08/msg00812.php

Thanks. This thread seems to contain overwhelming SUPPORT for
shortening the file. Greg Sabino Mullane didn't like it, and there
were a smattering of ideas like "we should have a postgresql.conf man
page", "we should make sure to document which parameters people are
most likely to need to adjust", and "we should have a config
generator" (all of which are good ideas), but nearly everyone seemed
to agree with the general idea that the current file contained way too
much unnecessary cruft. What am I missing here?

...Robert