On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> ... One thing I have belatedly realized about this
>> CommitFest is that we (or at least, I) did not think about asking the
>> committers about their schedules, and it turns out that three of them
>> - Heikki, Michael Meskes, Joe Conway - are away at the moment. About
>> 25% of the remaining patches are waiting for one of those three people
>> to take the next step (as either patch author, or reviewer, or
> Well, any commitfest is going to have some issues of that sort,
> especially one scheduled during the summer. If we get to the point
> where those patches are the only ones left, and the relevant people
> still aren't back, I think we can just push them all to the next fest.
> But I doubt we are moving fast enough to make that happen.
I think Joe is back in the next week, but I'm not sure about Michael or Heikki.
>> Specific Committers (13)
>> - generic explain options v3 (needs further review by Tom Lane)
> Actually I was waiting for the other EXPLAIN patch to come ready
> before looking at this, because I thought they were intertwined.
> Do you want this committed before that?
Well, if it's OK with you, yes. I have been maintaining these as a
series of stacked patches, and the latest round of refactoring on the
explain-options patch has broken the machine-readable explain output
patch beyond all recognition. So it costs me nothing to have you
whack it around some more before committing it at this point. I think
it's an independent feature: it does a bunch of refactoring, adds new
syntax, and adds an actual option which makes use of that syntax. Not
the most interesting option, to be sure, but one that's been requested
more than once.
The other alternative is to merge the two patches together and then
commit the whole thing in one go. I think I like this option a little
less because it means that if there turn out to be additional issues
with the machine-readable explain-patch, I might end up getting
nothing that actually does anything committed this CommitFest, and it
will also delay the process by several days while I rework and merge
the patches. But I'm willing to do it if it's the only path to
getting this done. What I'm LEAST enthusiastic about is fixing the
machine-readable explain output patch, then have you make some more
changes to explain-options patch, then having to fix machine-readable
explain output again.
In response to
pgsql-hackers by date
|Next:||From: Heikki Linnakangas||Date: 2009-07-26 20:39:20|
|Subject: Re: CommitFest Status Summary - 2009-07-25|
|Previous:||From: Robert Haas||Date: 2009-07-26 19:25:12|
|Subject: Re: autogenerating headers & bki stuff|