Re: visibility maps and heap_prune

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: visibility maps and heap_prune
Date: 2009-07-25 21:51:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Pavan Deolasee<pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Pavan, are you planning to respond to Alex's comments and/or update this patch?
>
> Yes, I will. Hopefully  by end of this week.

Since it has now been 10 days since this patch was reviewed, I think
that it is more than fair to move this from "Waiting on Author" to
"Returned with Feedback". As I've said on other threads, we want to
give everyone a fair chance to respond to review comments, but we also
don't want to tie up reviewers indefinitely on patches that aren't
being updated in a timely fashion, and we don't want to be left with a
crush of patches that need to be re-reviewed at the very end of the
CommitFest when suddenly everyone updates them. So I'm going to go
make this change.

I hope, though, that this will be resubmitted, after appropriate
updating, for a future CommitFest. I haven't read the code so I can't
speak at all to whether it works (in which I'm including crash-safe,
deadlock-proof, and correct with respect to locking), but if so it
sounds like a nice improvement.

Thanks,

...Robert