commitfest.postgresql.org

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: commitfest.postgresql.org
Date: 2009-07-03 04:57:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Per Dave Page's request of this morning, my CommitFest management
application now has a real hostname (see subject line). I have also
sent Dave an email with details of the install process and location of
files, per his request (let me know if there's somewhere else those
details should be posted).

Brendan Jurd has graciously migrated all of the data from the
CommitFest wiki page to the app by writing a script to parse the wiki
markup and inserting the resulting data directly into the database.
There are a few loose ends. The application stamps comments with the
community login of the person who left them, but the import stamped
them with names instead. This is actually of some significance, since
the app will allow you to edit your own comments but not those of
other people. We could probably fix this if someone can give us
access to (or a dump of) the realname to username mappings from the
community login DB. Also, we're currently missing the reviewer names
due to limitations of the import script; Brendan is fixing this.

Filling the DB with live data revealed a few warts. In particular,
the original ordering of patches was alpha by topic and then alpha by
name, which I thought would be OK, but upon seeing how it really
looked, I hated it. So the topic manager now lets you set a sort
order for commitfest topics, and the order is now numeric by topic
sortorder, then alpha by topic, then by ascending patch ID (so the
oldest patch comes up first within each topic section). Also, I
originally had the topics displayed as a table column, but that didn't
really work for me once I saw it either, so it's been reorganized to
do it the same way the wiki does.

We're still hacking on a few other details of the formatting and
interface, but you might want to cruise over and have a look. Please
however continue to make ALL CHANGES on the wiki, and not in the app.
Brendan is going to manually move changes over to the new system
incrementally until we get the kinks worked out. I think we're close,
but we're not quite there yet. As a reminder, if you'd like to review
or submit patches against the source, you can find it here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgcommitfest.git;a=summary
git://git.postgresql.org/git/pgcommitfest.git

...Robert