dependencies for generated header files

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dependencies for generated header files
Date: 2009-06-28 18:21:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I think that our dependencies for generated header files (gram.h,
fmgroids.h, probes.h) are not as good as they could be.  What we do
right now is make src/backend/Makefile rebuild these before recursing
through its subdirectories.  This works OK for a top-level make, but
if you run make further down in the tree (like under
src/backend/commands) it won't necessarily rebuild everything that it
should.

The attached patch moves some of this logic from src/backend/Makefile
to src/Makefile.global.in.  That way, if you --enable-depend and then
do something like "touch src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h" and then "cd
src/backend/commands; make vacuum.o", it rebuilds fmgroids.h and then
recompiles vacuum.c.  Under HEAD, it just tells you that vacuum.o is
up to date.

I have tested this on vpath and non-vpath builds, with and without
--enable-depend.

...Robert

Next:From: Jeff DavisDate: 2009-06-28 18:23:08