Re: 8.4 open items list

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 open items list
Date: 2009-03-27 01:58:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> I'm sure they will.  But the current problem is getting beta released
>> in the first place, and AFAICS we're all waiting for you.
>
> As Tom said, it is more the open items that we are waiting on, not the
> release notes, but if if you are waiting for me to generate a list of
> open items, I already published in inaccurate list that at least
> _includes_ all the open items, plus lots of stuff that isn't open.

Hmm, well, Tom dropped a filtered version of your list into the open
items wiki page.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items

That includes a whole slough of patches that weren't submitted until
after November 1st and which I think should probably be bumped en
masse to 8.5:

Change behavior of statement-level triggers for inheritance cases?
GetCurrentVirtualXIDs() (is this patch safe?)
PQinitSSL broken in some use cases
postgresql.conf: patch to have ParseConfigFile report all parsing
errors, then bail
small but useful patches for text search
Additional DTrace Probes
pg_standby trigger behavior is dangerous
psql \d commands and information_schema (already in CommitFest 2009-First)
Have \d show child tables that inherit from the specified parent
(already in CommitFest 2009-First)

I think we should also boot everything in the "pre-existing bugs"
category, and the first two items from the "questions" category, which
don't seem important enough to worry about at this stage of the game.
That would leave us with 14 items, all of which look reasonably
relevant and 8.4-related.

Comments?

...Robert