Re: Proposed Patch to Improve Performance of Multi-Batch Hash Join for Skewed Data Sets

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Lawrence, Ramon" <ramon(dot)lawrence(at)ubc(dot)ca>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Bryce Cutt" <pandasuit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposed Patch to Improve Performance of Multi-Batch Hash Join for Skewed Data Sets
Date: 2008-12-18 03:53:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dr. Lawrence:

I'm still working on reviewing this patch. I've managed to load the
sample TPCH data from tpch1g1z.zip after changing the line endings to
UNIX-style and chopping off the trailing vertical bars. (If anyone is
interested, I have the results of pg_dump | bzip2 -9 on the resulting
database, which I would be happy to upload if someone has server
space. It is about 250MB.)

But, I'm not sure quite what to do in terms of generating queries.
TPCHSkew contains QGEN.EXE, but that seems to require that you provide
template queries as input, and I'm not sure where to get the
templates.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

...Robert