Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jean-David Beyer" <jeandavid8(at)verizon(dot)net>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing
Date: 2008-12-09 22:58:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Hmm ... I wonder whether this means that the current work on
> parallelizing I/O (the posix_fadvise patch in particular) is a dead
> end. Because what that is basically going to do is expend more CPU
> to improve I/O efficiency. If you believe this thesis then that's
> not the road we want to go down.

I don't believe the thesis. The gap between disk speeds and memory
speeds may narrow over time, but I doubt it's likely to disappear
altogether any time soon, and certainly not for all users.

Besides which, I believe the CPU overhead of that patch is pretty darn
small when the feature is not enabled.

...Robert