Re: Updated posix fadvise patch v19

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updated posix fadvise patch v19
Date: 2008-11-14 03:34:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> - StrategyFileStrategy doesn't handle the recently added BAS_BULKWRITE
> strategy. I'm not sure whether it needs to, but it seems to me that
> this a trap for the unwary: we should probably add a comment where the
> BAS_* constants are defined warning that any changes here may/will
> also necessitate changes there. I think a detailed comment on the
> function itself explaining why it does what it does and how to decide
> what to do for a new type of BufferAccessStrategy would be a good
> idea.

In fact, now that I look at this a little further, I see that in
general you've not added comments at the beginnings of functions - for
example, the other functions in the files that contain smgrprefetch,
mdprefetch, PrefetchBuffer seem to have a description of the purpose
of those functions; the ones you've added do not.

Good luck, I'd like to see this one get in - the performance results
you've reported sound very impressive.

...Robert