Re: Bug with plpgsql, temp tables and TOAST?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Matthijs Bomhoff <matthijs(at)quarantainenet(dot)nl>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug with plpgsql, temp tables and TOAST?
Date: 2011-07-01 21:59:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Hmm, so what's happening here, I think, is that the value is getting
> assigned to the record variable without detoasting. I guess we should
> detoast the value prior to assigning it, but it seems to me that that
> would have a large performance penalty for other cases in which the
> toast table is not dropped; in fact, you can even imagine some cases in
> which the toasted value is not even accessed, so getting to the point of
> detoasting it would be a severe penalization.

Yeah, we have seen similar reports before, and concluded that forcibly
detoasting on the remote chance that the toast table wouldn't stick
around was just untenable from a performance standpoint. It's annoying
but I don't see a good compromise solution ATM.

Pavel was working recently on a hack to prevent repeated detoastings,
which is at least somewhat related to this issue. I don't recall that
anyone liked his hack though ...