Re: posix advises ...

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: posix advises ...
Date: 2008-06-20 05:49:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

good morning,

this is wonderful news.
this is pretty much what we observed as well. the kernel has acted as
showstopper for many setups recently. this patch fixed most cases
related to kernel read ahead and so on for us.
in fact, posix_fadvise was the only way to prevent a big germany
company from replacing postgres with oracle.
the problem was that synchronized scans led to a significant decrease
of I/O throughput as the kernel was simply confused by processes
concurrently reading the same file.

I hope zoltan's autoconf magic fixes the portability issues.

hans