Re: backend crash following load command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: backend crash following load command
Date: 2006-11-28 20:37:40
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 03:23:36PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'd suggest putting together a simple stand-alone test case and filing
>> a bug report against glibc.

> How can glibc do anything about this? dlopen() mmaps the .so into
> memory and the cp overwrites what was mmaped, changing what is in
> memory.

The test case I was using involved a cp -f that overwrote the .so with
the exact same data (ie, I didn't bother recompiling, just cp -f a
second time from the compilation output file). So if the above were
the explanation there should have been no crash; moreover, if that were
the explanation then the cp-without-dash-f case should crash too.

I suspect that glibc is playing some undocumented games and is getting
confused because the file's inode number has changed.