Re: weird performances problem

From: Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)openwide(dot)fr>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: weird performances problem
Date: 2005-11-22 12:53:46
Lists: pgsql-performance
If I understand your HW config correctly, all of the pg stuff is on
the same RAID 10 set?

If so, give WAL its own dedicated RAID 10 set.  This looks like the
old problem of everything stalling while WAL is being committed to HD.

This concept works for other tables as well.  If you have a tables
that both want services at the same time, disk arm contention will
drag performance into the floor when they are on the same HW set.

Profile your HD access and put tables that want to be accessed at the
same time on different HD sets.  Even if you have to buy more HW to do it.

Ron