Re: RAID Configuration Sugestion

From: Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAID Configuration Sugestion
Date: 2005-08-31 02:50:57
Lists: pgsql-performance
At 08:43 PM 8/30/2005, Michael Stone wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 08:41:40PM -0400, Ron wrote:
>>The scary thing is that I've worked on RW production systems that
>>bore a striking resemblance to a TPC benchmark system.  As you can
>>imagine, they uniformly belonged to BIG organizations (read: lot's
>>'o $$$) who were using the systems for mission critical stuff where
>>either it was company existence threatening for the system to be
>>done, or they would lose much $$$ per min of down time, or both.
>
>Yeah, and that market is relevant to someone with one dell server
>and 2 hard disks how?
Because successful small companies that _start_ with one small server
and 2 HDs grow to _become_ companies that need far more HW; ...and in
the perfect world their SW scales to their increased needs...

_Without_ exponentially increasing their costs or overhead (as Oracle
and DB2 currently do)

THIS is the real long term promise of OS DBMS.

Ron Peacetree