From: William Scott Jordan <wsjordan(at)brownpapertickets(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-07-07 22:29:19
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi all!

Can anyone explain to me what VACUUM does that REINDEX doesn't?  We
have a frequently updated table on Postgres 7.4 on FC3 with about
35000 rows which we VACUUM hourly and VACUUM FULL once per day.  It
seem like the table still slows to a crawl every few weeks.  Running
a REINDEX by itself or a VACUUM FULL by itself doesn't seem to help,
but running a REINDEX followed immediately by a VACUUM FULL seems to
solve the problem.

I'm trying to decide now if we need to include a daily REINDEX along
with our daily VACUUM FULL, and more importantly I'm just curious to
know why we should or shouldn't do that.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Richard Broersma JrDate: 2006-07-07 23:15:27