Re: Why so slow?

From: K C Lau <kclau60(at)netvigator(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why so slow?
Date: 2006-04-29 03:18:10
Lists: pgsql-performance
At 10:39 06/04/29, Tom Lane wrote:
>K C Lau <kclau60(at)netvigator(dot)com> writes:
> > Without knowing the internals, I have this simplistic idea: if Postgres
> > maintains the current lowest transaction ID for all active
> transactions, it
> > probably could recycle dead tuples on the fly.
>
>[ yawn... ]  Yes, we've heard that before.  The hard part is getting rid
>of index entries.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

I apologize for simplistic ideas again. I presume that the equivalent tuple
header information is not maintained for index entries. What if they are,
probably only for the most commonly used index types to allow recycling
where possible? The extra space required would be recycled too. It would
probably also help save a trip to the tuple data pages to determine the
validity of index entries during index scans.

Cheers,
KC.