Setting up PL/R - function calls fail

From: Stefan Sobernig <stefan(dot)sobernig(at)wu-wien(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Setting up PL/R - function calls fail
Date: 2004-12-16 12:30:27
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I am currently trying to create a development environment
including PostgreSQL 8.0.0rc1, R 2.0.1 and PL/R on a system running Fedora
Cora 1.
So far, I have suceeded in setting up PostgreSQL and R as
a shared library - unfortunately I have not been able to link these
two spheres by adding the PostgreSQL add-on PL/R due to
some mysterious probs.

I thoroughly followed the setup instructions for PL/R (see
http://www.joeconway.com/plr/doc/plr-install.html)
and arrived at being able to register PL/R with PostgreSQL properly and
even to create PL/R-specific functions.
 >But< whenever trying to invoke these functions, I end up with
a single exception, even for simple ones which are just supposed to return
the previously passed arguments:

######snip#######
ERROR:  R interpreter parse error

######snip#######

A closer look at the postmaster's/ postgres's log-file reveals that a
hardly more
specific exception is thrown at this level, i.e.:

######snip#######
ERROR:  R interpreter parse error
DETAIL:  R parse error caught in "PLR17706 <- function(arg1,arg2) {
             if (arg1 > arg2)
                return(arg1)
             else
                return(arg2)
         }".
CONTEXT:  In PL/R function r_max
######snip#######

Even gdb monitoring did not provide any further hint, using older
PostgreSQL, R and PL/R versions
didn't make a difference.

I would kindly ask for your help and thoughts!

best regards,

Stefan

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: William YuDate: 2004-12-16 13:59:48
Subject: Re: Tyan Thunder MB for postgres server
Previous:From: Loránt IstvánDate: 2004-12-16 11:26:56
Subject: missing schemas from template1