plpgsql trigger problem

From: Diana Nemirovsky <diana(at)marinconsulting(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: plpgsql trigger problem
Date: 2005-07-13 20:46:52
Lists: pgsql-novice
I'm trying to write a trigger (on insert or update) on one table that will
update values in another table, and I'm having trouble with it. There are 3
tables in question, person, household, and person_household (linking people
to households). There are foreign key constraints on the person_household
table, if that matters, but no triggers on any table except person, which
is the one I'm working on. I'm dealing with parents and kids, and a parent
will only be in one household.

I can write SQL statements that will work outside of the trigger to get me
the records I want, but they don't seem to work correctly within the
trigger. I've put my pseudo code place holders in # signs.

The fist thing I'd need to do is

SELECT id_household
FROM person_household
WHERE id_person=NEW.id_person  --find the household that person belongs to

with that ID I get, then do the following

--get the other parent in the household (if any)
SELECT id_person, name_first
FROM person NATURAL INNER JOIN person_household
WHERE (person_household.id_household=#id_household (from above query)# AND
person.grade IS NULL) --leave out the kids

then with that name I get, I need to get the household record and update it:

         UPDATE household
         SET salutation = NEW.first_name || #person.name_first selected in
2nd query above)#
         WHERE id_household = #id_household#

This works in theory, but not in practice. I've tried SELECT INTO as well,
also no luck. I could write this in my sleep in a different language, but
I'm new to plpgsql, and this is kicking my, well, you know.  Thanks for any

Diana Nemirovsky
Marin Consulting, Inc.
770 Menlo Ave, Ste 223
Menlo Park, CA 94025
v (650) 617-8699
f (650) 833-0790

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Doug HallDate: 2005-07-13 21:26:01