Statement as a parameter of a method

From: Jean-Michel Zigna <jzigna(at)cls(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Statement as a parameter of a method
Date: 2004-07-16 07:13:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,

We have got a problem in our application when updating our operational
server with redhat 7.3, postgresql 7.4.2, JDL 1.4.2 which does not occur in
our development and validation platform with the same softwares.

See the source below to get the context of the problem.

Main :

ResultSet res = stmt.executeQuery(query.toString());
while (res.next()) {

if (!res.wasNull()) actu.setTheme(getThemeNom(idTheme, stmt));
}
res.close();
stmt.close();

Actu.setTheme :

private String getThemeNom(int id, Statement stmt) throws SQLException {
String nom = null;
ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("select nom from themes where
id_theme = " + id);
if (rs.next()) nom = rs.getString("nom");
rs.close();
return nom;
}

It looks like if the statement parameter declared and used in Main and send
to the actu.setTheme method to execute the new query is closed when closing
the resultset in Actu.setTheme. We solved the problem by declaring a new
statement in Actu.setTheme and changing the signature a this method as below.

Main :
ResultSet res = null;
try {
res = stmt.executeQuery(query.toString());
while (res.next()) {

actu.setTheme(getThemeNom(idTheme));

}
} catch(SQLException se) {
throw se;
} finally {
if (res != null) res.close();
stmt.close();
}

private String getThemeNom(int id) throws SQLException {
Statement stmt = getConnexion().createStatement();
String nom = null;
ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("select nom from themes where
id_theme = " + id);
if (rs.next()) nom = rs.getString("nom");
rs.close();
stmt.close();
return nom;
}

Please, can you tell me if JDBC specifications are not compatible with the
old version of the source ? Can we declare a statement as a parameter of a
method, and if, what are the limits when using it in the method ? Do we
need to change a postgres parameter or setting ?

Thanks for your explanations.

Jean-Michel Zigna.