Re: Protection from SQL injection

From: "Thomas Mueller" <thomas(dot)tom(dot)mueller(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Protection from SQL injection
Date: 2008-04-27 18:43:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

> The problem may be legacy code.

Of course. There is a lot of legacy code that needs to be made secure
('hardened'). The best solution is to use parameterized queries. To
find out what statements are still not doing that, first disable text
literals only. If some places are incorrect, the relevant statements
will be in the log file. After text literals are fixed, number
literals can be disabled.

> Since it is going to make dev nervous because it adds code bloat
> that's going to cause more bugs than the SQL injections it may
> prevent.

I don't think it will really bloat the code. In fact, the code will be
cleaner afterwards.

> "select a.id, b.name from a join b on b.id=a.id where
> a.status='pending' and b.id>7 and b.status='logged'

I even saw code like this in a VIEW: ... and b.type = 10430001 ... The
10430001 had a special meaning. It was documented somewhere, but not
in the code of course ;-) 'pending' and 'logged' are better, but in
regular programming languages usually constants are defined. This also
solves the 'disable literals' pain you have described. The code would
look like this:

select a.id, b.name from a join b on b.id=a.id where
a.status=STATUS_PENDING and b.id>? and b.status=STATUS_LOGGED.

So parameters only need to be used for the actual user input.

> Prepared statements force you to match input with position and it is
> definitively error prone.

The correctness of the application in the normal case is usually
tested. But I didn't so far see any SQL injection tests in regular
application.

> Everything is still in the hands of the dev.

Not always, specially not in banking applications.

> you want to make your dev life a hell

Using parameterized queries is not 'hell', it's best practice.

Regards,
Thomas