include no validation of XML schema in 8.13.1- the XML Type

From: Andrew Lardinois <lardinois(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: include no validation of XML schema in 8.13.1- the XML Type
Date: 2010-01-07 09:32:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

Poking around in the 8.5 Devel Documentation section 8.13.1, the XML
Type, I noticed that:

"The xml type does not validate input values against a document type
declaration (DTD), even when the input value specifies a DTD"

I did not notice any mention of validating against XML schema. Now that it
is 2010, the XML schema 1.1 spec is in draft form of one sort or another, is
it safe to leave out mentioning validating against XML schema in the
PostGreSQL documentation. That is, PostGreSQL users should know enough
about XML that if you can't validate against a DTD, why should you be able
to validate against XML schema?

I would tent towards redundancy, and include the XML schema part.

Andrew Lardinois