Re: BUG #4883: tar xf fails on NFS4 mounts

From: ajmcello <ajmcello78(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4883: tar xf fails on NFS4 mounts
Date: 2009-06-26 00:32:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On Friday 26 June 2009 00:04:02 Alfred Monticello wrote:
> > in doc/Makefile, tar is run to extract an archive with xf options. Needs
> > oxf to map to owner of person running tar, otherwise Invalid Argument
> > occurs and the Makefile errors out.
> >
> > A better solution might be to compact postgres as UID/GID 0 instead of
> UID
> > 258 which does not exist on my system.
> >
> > Problem only occurs when mounting NFSv4 from a Solaris box using ZFS.
> > Client is Ubuntu Jaunty. Tar tries to preserve UID 258 but errors out
> > because it doesn't exist.
>
> Are you running the extraction as root user?

Yes. I am user root. It is an interesting problem. Tar fails because it
tries to preserve ownership and group.

However over an NFSv4 and ZFS, the NFS client where I am working on tries to
remap unknown usernames and groups to nobody.nogroup, which tar does not
seem to like. I tried GNU version 1.22 and it also failed the same way. I
can manually run chown or chgrp to an unknown UID and GID, and they will get
mapped as nobody.nogroup. So I guess the source of the problem really lies
with tar...

I'm working on a new server and am building a several of source packages.
Postgres and Apache httpd are the only two out of about 25 that have had
this problem. Postgres had a problem as soon as I unpacked it with tar, it
complained about UID 258. All the other packages I have unpacked with tar
unpacked with 0 as the UID and GID.

# make
make -C doc all
make[1]: Entering directory `/nfs/fsp1/web/postgresql-8.3.7/doc'
gzip -d -c man.tar.gz | /bin/tar xf -
/bin/tar: man1/clusterdb.1: Cannot change ownership to uid 258, gid 258:
Invalid argument
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
make[1]: *** [manl/.timestamp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/nfs/fsp1/web/postgresql-8.3.7/doc'
make: *** [all] Error 2
#