Re: How to compile a 32 bit version of postgres on a x64 machine.

From: Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to compile a 32 bit version of postgres on a x64 machine.
Date: 2009-03-28 18:48:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> It looks like most avenues for high availability with postgres are not
> available if one of the machines is a 64 bit machine and the other a 32.
>
> Somebody on this list suggested I install a 32 bit version of postgres on my
> x64 machine.  What's the best way to handle this? Should I compile it fresh?
> Install the 32 bit binaries? Can I just copy the binaries from the
> secondary?

Copying from the secondary should work as long as you have 32-bit
versions of the libraries it needs.

> I presume I am going to have to drop all the databases and reload them of
> course.

Worse than that--you'll have to run initdb and then restore from
scratch. Might be a good idea to save the existing data directory so
you can roll back to 64-bit if the restore doesn't go smoothly.

-Doug