Re: PGDay Cuba 2010

From: Mariano Reingart <reingart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, gilberto(dot)castillo(at)etecsa(dot)cu, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PGDay Cuba 2010
Date: 2009-11-15 21:00:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-es-ayuda pgsql-es-fomento

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Robert Treat
<xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:

> Can we also clarify, the content of this email "PGDay Latinoamericano 2011" is
> actually meant to be an international/regional conference for the latin
> american community, not a conference for the Cuban community, which the
> subject of this email indicates.  Are there still plans for a separate PGDay
> Cuba?  Not that I will likely take part in either at this point*, but I was
> wondering. Maybe we could get the conf organizers to update
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Events ?

Can I suggest removing the Latinamerican meaning at all?
It also caused confusion this year for the event planned here in
Argentina ("PgDay 2009 Latinamerica"), that couldn't get realized by
lack of speakers and attendees.
I hope we (the involved in that pgday) had learned something...

So, I don't think inviting speakers of latin american countries is
enought to call it "Latinoamericano". If so, getting international
speakers convert it in a "PgDay Worldwide"?

I think it is an event organized by the cuban community, for the cuban
community.
Latinamerica is a big region, with so many interest and particular
needs that, in my opinion, an event of this type should organized by
all the communities, for all the communities (around 20 countries).

> * I had thought about going to the Latin American conf when the idea came up,
> but traveling to Cuba is likely more hassle than I'll want to go through.

Yes, even for us, reaching Cuba from Argentina is expensive and a bit
more complex.

With the brazilean community we are planning to start to organize
talks (involving both countries) in more accessible places, like Porto
Alegre (br), Foz do Iguazu (br) or San Luis (ar), hosted in larger and
more established events like FISL, JRSL and Latinoware.

Regards
Mariano Reingart
Argentina PostgreSQL Users Group
http://www.arpug.com.ar/