Re: SQL Server

From: Brian Modra <brian(at)zwartberg(dot)com>
To: bob(dot)vanslobig(at)att(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL Server
Date: 2009-11-06 05:10:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

2009/11/5 <bob(dot)vanslobig(at)att(dot)net>:
> I am hoping that I am posting this question to the proper list.
>

> I inherited a team of programmers that have the responsibility to create
> mailing lists.  Each member uses MS SQL, with either DTS, or SSIS scripts,
> and has his own customers that makes them subject to peaks and valley’s.  I
> am attempting to cross-train as well as standardize the processes to make it
> easier to balance the workload.
>

> In looking forward, I am getting close to the point of having to add to the
> team, and after reviewing numerous resumes, have decided that the process we
> do, doesn’t really require high level SQL programmers, but does require a
> good understanding
>
> of database structures and the tools necessary to mine data.
>

> At the same time, I am looking at reducing cost and thought about switching
> from MS SQL to MySQL.  I also thought of adding some kind of GUI front-end
> in order to use less technical people to process data requests.  In talking
> with a customer support person at a company that develops front-ends, he
> suggested looking into PostgreSQL and that is why I am here.
>

> I did not see references to anyone moving from an MS SQL environment to
> PostgreSQL and was curious if anyone has had experience doing that?  Also,
> are there any suggestions for front-ends?  I need something that can
> generate SQL commands but also allow a passthrough if someone needed to
> write their own.
>

> I’d like the flexibility to increase my team at a minimal cost as we
> increase volume.
>

> Any thoughts?

My open source project "The Karoo Project" http://www.zwartberg.com/karoo
does include a set of tools for creating web applications with minimum
"programming". The only programming required is SQL, plsql (optional),
XML, XHTML, and Javascript... or you can use C++ also to create mor
complex services.
The Karoo Project is actually aimed at making it easy to create large
scalable services in C++, but it so happened that I needed a web front
end, so I added the "surf" front end (which I was just describing).
If you are interested, let me know. the documentation needs writing,
so I'll have to help you a bit.
Otherwise, my advice is that postgresql is better than mysql, though I
have not found any good tools for creating database applications,...
which is why I wrote "surf".
Brian

--
Brian Modra Land line: +27 23 5411 462