Graphical Query Builder for GSoc 2008

From: "Christian J(dot) Wong Cruz" <cjd(dot)wong(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Graphical Query Builder for GSoc 2008
Date: 2008-04-01 14:01:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hello everybody, my name is Christian Wong and I'm new in this list so this
is my first post.

With this mail, I'd like to introduce you to my GSoC project [1] about a
Graphical Query Builder for pgAdmin III, and I'd like go get your feedback,
because at the end it could be a pgAdmin Community project. Please forgive
me for writting too late.

I am a last year undergraduated student in Computer Science at the
Universidad Nacional de San Agustin at Arequipa, PERU, I'm familiar with C,
C++ and Java programming languages and some multiplatform GUI libraries as
GTK, qt and currently I'm reviewing wxWidgets [2] for this project. I'm
currently testing the pgAdmin source code with TortoiseSVN on Windows.

The goal of this project is to add a Graphical Query Builder (GQB) into the
'pgAdmin III Query window', properly speacking on the frmQuery form. I'd
need to insert a 'wxNotebook' instead of the ctlSQLBox named sqlQuery and
put this sql box into the wxNotebook as its first Page. The second page
would have a wxShapeCanvas (it would be better implementet as a control in
the ctl folder in order to follow the pgAdmin design idea). Another change
to be done, would be the redesign of the toolbar object (wxToolBar) which
could become a control because it will be different when editing a SQL Query
or when editing a Graphic Query. I propose to implement the State design
pattern [3] (behavioral Pattern) which will allow change the toolbar
acording to the Page selected; it will be managed with the
wxNotebook::OnSelChange event.

The canvas would have three kind of objects: Tables, Views and Subqueries.
Some existing GQB doesn't support subqueries, I suggest the subqueries as
the third object and it will be defined in other Page of the wxNotebook
widget.

The GQB must support the definition objects alias, restrictions (where
clause), nested restrictions, groups and sort orders. All of this
definitions will be done on two new dialogs: Table and Column properties
(about the graphic query, of course). Another feature could be the drag and
drop option from the object tree view to the canvas.

As new in wxWidgets, I am reading about the drag and drop and the canvas
usage.

I have some questions to ask you:
+ Which is the preferred OS?, could it be Freebsd or MS Windows?
+ I've read a similar post in 2006. Why the GQB is not implemented? Wasn't
a successful idea for that year? why?
+ When is the best moment to start this project?

Well, thanks for your time; and I will continue improving and complementing
the idea. Thanks again.