Re: Book

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: info(at)petermount(dot)au(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Book
Date: 2005-02-11 12:56:39
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Feb 11, 2005, at 5:00 AM, Peter Mount wrote:

> I currently own a copy of "PostgreSQL Developer's Handbook" by
> Geshwinde and Schonig, 2002. Would this still be good enough to start
> making databases in the current version of PostgreSQL? I noticed it
> talks about Redhat 7.1. I have Windows XP Pro, Windows 98SE and a copy
> of Fedora Core 3 (as well as Knoppix 3.4 and a copy of Xandros Desktop
> OS Version 2 Value Pack that I won as a door prize at my local Linux
> Users Group).

I have not seen the book, but I would guess that any PostgreSQL book
from a few years ago would still provide a decent overview. But you'll
want to work with something more recent as you get into advanced
features. The PostgreSQL documentation is very good, so I would
recommend to skim the book for an overview and then use the PostgreSQL
documentation as your primary reference.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL