Re: Confused by result of pg_catalog.format_type()

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confused by result of pg_catalog.format_type()
Date: 2008-04-25 00:45:14
Lists: pgsql-general
On Apr 24, 2008, at 5:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com> writes:
>> Ah, pg_catalog.format_type(prorettype, null) = '"trigger"', thanks.
>
> It's probably fair to ask what it is you want to accomplish here,
> because comparing format_type's output to a constant seems awfully
> fragile.  Aside from the quotes (which I believe 8.3 won't emit in
> this particular case) the output can vary depending on search_path
> and perhaps other factors.
>
> If you're trying to identify trigger functions I'd suggest
>
> 	where prorettype = 'pg_catalog.trigger'::pg_catalog.regtype
>
> as being the most bulletproof formulation, and probably faster too.

Ah, thank you for the advice!  I'm writing python unittest assertions
for testing db state -- extremely useful for testing some custom
client db tools I'm writing for partitioning and migrations (both data
and schema).  I'd known about, and used, the regclass oid type, but
had only learned about it from seeing someone else's example.  I
should've read the chapter on system information function a little
more thoroughly :)  My assertion methods are about to become a lot
shorter...

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com