Create a cache DB between web portal and internal DB?

From: "Dearman, Rick" <rick(dot)dearman(at)teamuk(dot)telstra(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Create a cache DB between web portal and internal DB?
Date: 2004-12-20 17:21:02
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a requirement from my security manager but I can't seem to find a good solution. So I wondered if someone had done something similar.

We have a web portal and a DB in PostgreSQL (obviously) which contains user data. The portal is accessed by account managers who have access to only specific user accounts. This all works fine however the concern is that if you ever got access more directly into the DB through a hack, or poorly designed site code, you could potentially access information that you shouldn't.

So the idea is that he is floating is we create a cache DB between the portal and the main DB which will only keep the information currently being worked on by the person logged in, and that any inserts/updates/deletes are passed on to the main DB through additional layers of security.

Any ideas?

Rick Dearman

privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this
email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify Telstra. Any disclosure
of the contents or recipients, distribution of, copying of or decisions
based on this email by unauthorised persons is prohibited and may be
unlawful.

Telstra Europe Ltd
3 Finsbury Square
London EC2A 1AE