Re: improving foreign key locks

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: improving foreign key locks
Date: 2010-12-01 23:59:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Dec 1, 2010, at 11:09 AM, Florian Pflug wrote:
> An UPDATE on such a SHARE locked row would be allowed despite the lock if it only changed columns not mentioned by any unique index.

On a side-note, by "changed columns" do you mean the column appeared in the UPDATE statement, or the data actually changed? I suspect the former might be easier to implement, but it's really going to fsck with some applications (Rails is one example that comes to mind).
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell)