patterns for database administration

From: Matthew Hixson <hixson(at)poindextrose(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: patterns for database administration
Date: 2004-03-23 18:24:47
Lists: pgsql-general

This question isn't specific to Postgres, but since I'm already on this
list and there are knowledgeable people here I thought I'd ask. I'm
currently working on a project that has a web application that faces
the customer and a web application that faces the administrators. They
sit on top of the same Postgres instance. This database also keeps
track of purchase information for sales made on the customer website.
Has anyone ever heard of using a separate administration database
which is used to modify business data, and then periodically that data
would be pushed out to the other database running the customer web
application? Does this idea make any sense at all?
Thanks,
-M@