Re: Re: plpgsql locate provider by zip code

From: Shay Moreno <moreno(at)tdk(dot)dk>
To: "'Joel Burton'" <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>, Phill Kenoyer <phill(at)kenoyer(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: plpgsql locate provider by zip code
Date: 2001-04-27 17:29:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Phill Kenoyer wrote:

> > "zip" int8 NOT NULL,
>
> then 00315. Using VARCHAR() also gives you some breathing room
> if you add non-US postal codes, since practically every country
> uses alphanumeric systems.

I couldn't agree more. It is very annoying not to be able to input
Brazilian zip codes in US systems. Even if they accept letters, our system
is in the form 99.999-999 -- that's 10 characters, or 9 if you omit the dot,
but omiting the hyphen is so unusual it goes against the grain. Even if we
use just the numbers it's still 8 numbers, and most US systems do not accept
more than six, which force us to use, not the first six numbers (that would
be a mistake and then the letter might take weeks more to arrive than usual)
but only the first five numbers - while it isn't a gross error it is still a
serious omission and will delay the correspondence for some days.

--
_
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra +55 (11) 3040 8913