Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy List <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise
Date: 2007-07-24 20:58:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Jul 24, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Jim Nasby wrote:
>
>> You can certainly make MySQL as robust as PostgreSQL; it's just
>> harder to do so.
>
> I'd recommend http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-
> data-integrity.html as an intro for anyone who wants to catch up on
> the current state of MySQL data validation compared to how it used
> to be. It's really not so bad nowadays if you use the
> strict_all_tables feature. They still have the open issue of some
> older apps not working if you toggle this on, so it's not the
> default, but "good enough" validation is there.

I love how they can't keep the marketing stuff out of their docs...

"However, the meteoric rise in MySQL's popularity"

but I digress... the real reason I was looking at that is to confirm
that you can turn off strict checking within a session. So one
wayward command means all your safety just went away.

Like I said... safe data is possible with MySQL, it's just harder.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net