Is a heads-up in 9.1 in order regarding the XML-related changes in 9.2?

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Is a heads-up in 9.1 in order regarding the XML-related changes in 9.2?
Date: 2011-07-27 21:37:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi

As it stands, we're going to release 9.1, knowing that 9.2 will change the
behavior of XPATH. This brings forth the question whether we should somehow
warn about that in either the release notes or the documentation of 9.1

If we don't, then applications developed on 9.1 might contain workarounds for
the deficiencies of XPATH in that version (like for example manually escaping
its output), which make them break on 9.2. That seems a bit unfriendly.

OTOH, had we committed the changes to 9.2 a month or two from now, than
9.1 certainly couldn't have warned about them. So maybe it shouldn't thus
warn now, either.

Is there an establishes practice for situations like this, i.e. a behavior-
changing bug-fix committed to X.Y+1 before X.Y is released?

best regards,
Florian Pflug

Next:From: Alex HunsakerDate: 2011-07-27 21:54:03