Don't Thread On Me (PostgreSQL related)

From: Rodrigo E(dot) De León Plicet <rdeleonp(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Don't Thread On Me (PostgreSQL related)
Date: 2012-01-26 21:52:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Quote:

This thread

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Multithread-Query-Planner-td5143643.html

was mentioned in a performance sub-group posting. Give it a read.

Back? It means, so far as I can see, that PG is toast. It will fall
down to being the cheap and dirty alternative to MySql, which even
has, at least two, multi-threaded engines. DB2 switched it's *nix
engine to threads from processes with release 9.5. Oracle claims it
for releases going back to 7 (I haven't tried to determine which parts
or applications; Larry has bought so many tchochtkes over the
years...). SQL Server is threaded.

Given that cpu's are breeding threads faster than cores,
PG will fall into irrelevance.

Source:
http://drcoddwasright.blogspot.com/2012/01/dont-thread-on-me.html

Comments?